Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Juno

Joseph and I just watched the movie Juno. A friend who doesn't really know me told me I would love it. I did but I think for different reasons than she imagined. I found most of it to be really unrealistic. It is hard to imagine a teenage girl being so indifferent about the idea of giving up her baby. I also don't know of many young teens who are so open about being pregnant in front of shop clerks. However, the two scenes that I found most endearing caught my emotional attention because of their honesty. The first is the scene after Juno has had her son and her boyfriend Paulie comes to lay down beside her. The voice overdub says that he decided not to see his son and she decided the same. At that moment, the audience sees Paulie put his arm around Juno as she begins to play with his fingers and cry. The honesty in that scene touches my heart immensely. My second favorite scene is the closing scene which takes place in the summer almost a full year after Juno finds out she is pregnant. The movie closes with Juno and her boyfriend playing guitar and singing a song together on the front steps of his house. This is a perfect closer as the song has been heard a few times throughout the film. All in all, I found Juno to be a fairytale portrayal of a real-life issue. I did enjoy it ...

No comments:

"What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute" June Jordon - Poetess

Because it was raining outside the palace
Because there was no rain in her vicinity

Because people kept asking her questions
Because nobody ever asked her anything

Because marriage robbed her of her mother
Because she lost her daughters to the same tradition

Because her son laughed when she opened her mouth
Because he never delighted in anything she said

Because romance carried the rose inside of a fist
Because she hungered for the fragrance of the rose

Because the jewels of her life did not belong to her
Because the glow of gold and silk disguised her soul

Because nothing she could say could change the melted music of her space
Because the privilege of her misery was something she could not disgrace

Because no one could imagine reasons for her grief
Because her grief required no imagination

Because it was raining outside the palace
Because there was no rain in her vicinity