Sunday, November 30, 2008

Missing Armenia

Today is Sunday November 30th (I think) and I am sitting here writing this post from my bed at the Holiday Inn at London Heathrow. Joseph and I finished our 10 day visit to Armenia yesterday, flying back through Moscow on our way here to London. We got in last night and had dinner in our room, which was a treat, and then went straight to bed. I am feeling a bit more like myself, praise God, as this cold of mine in starting to subside.

We said goodbye to Roy and Chris Cochran yesterday, which was hard as they were our travel companions, co-teachers and close friends for the last 10 days. We also said goodbye to our Armenian-American brother, Tom, who became a great friend over these last 10 days. I told Joseph as we boarded our plane for London that it was like losing limbs as we said good bye to people. We said goodbye to Tom and we lost an arm. Then we said goodbye to Chris and Roy and we last our legs. All we have left is one arm each and so Joseph and I must hold onto each other for all we are worth :) It is good to be together just the two of us again but I sincerely miss the laughter, jokes, squished cab rides and long meals that we shared.

Everytime I try to sit and write about our time in Armenia in order to let friends and family know what it was like, I get stuck. I think my brain and body are still taking it all in and figuring it out. It was a hard place, for sure. The stamp of the Soviet Era is still well imprinted on the place. Tom jokingly taught us a phrase that sums up relations between most people which is, "I am fine, you are fine" (with thick Armenian accent). It's kind of funny to say but it is so true. The ethos i "I mind my business, you mind yours ... everything is ok". Here is an illustration. On our way to church on Sunday, we drove past a crowd that was huddled around a woman on the ground. Tom, Roy and Joseph got out of the car to see what was going on. Chris and I stayed in the car and prayed, figuring that they didn't need more people taking oxygen. When Tom came back in the car, he was flustered and a bit angry. The women, who was elderly, had been hit by a car and was bleeding from her head. No one was calling an ambulence and no one was taking her injury seriously. She just kept saying that she wanted to go home. When Tom suggested that she needed to go to the hospital, everyone got angry with him. As we talked about it more , I got the sense of oppression and how th enemy works in a cultural context.

It's breakfast time, so we're going to go eat. More to come later!

No comments:

"What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute" June Jordon - Poetess

Because it was raining outside the palace
Because there was no rain in her vicinity

Because people kept asking her questions
Because nobody ever asked her anything

Because marriage robbed her of her mother
Because she lost her daughters to the same tradition

Because her son laughed when she opened her mouth
Because he never delighted in anything she said

Because romance carried the rose inside of a fist
Because she hungered for the fragrance of the rose

Because the jewels of her life did not belong to her
Because the glow of gold and silk disguised her soul

Because nothing she could say could change the melted music of her space
Because the privilege of her misery was something she could not disgrace

Because no one could imagine reasons for her grief
Because her grief required no imagination

Because it was raining outside the palace
Because there was no rain in her vicinity