Saturday, July 11, 2009

Small Imprint, Big Impact: Our Family Garden




I am sitting right now with my one-month old daughter, Mercy, sleeping comfortably in her Maya sling whilst snuggled up against my chest and allowing me to enjoy some delicious tomatoes and basil from the garden that Joseph planted behind our little cottage just a few months before she was born. There is something immensely satisfying about both of these things; wearing Mercy close to my chest while being able to have my hands free makes me feel like an accomplished baby whisperer who is able to love my child and be productive at the same time. I feel like a Guatemalan woman enjoying the simple pleasures of my hearth and home while syncing my heart beat up to that of the sleeping baby close to my breast. As well, eating a meal of vegetables from the garden my husband planted makes me feel both closer to the Earth, and thus to God, as well as closer to my husband. There is something immensely sensual about gardening. I feel like my hunter-gatherer husband is out providing for his family. In a sense, that is exactly what he is doing.
Since we started picking fruits and veggies from our garden late last Spring, we have enjoyed the simplicity of walking out back and grabbing strawberries, tomatoes, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, squash, basil, mint, thyme and figs. We are looking forward to the cantaloupe that is currently flowering. I feel like I have a farmer's market in my backyard. There is something very sacred about growing your own food that goes way beyond the benefits of the green movement. When I buy a tomato from the regular market, I automatically feel like it is disposable. Often Joseph and I buy veggies that we don't eat right away and they end up in the trash. Not only is that a waste of production and our money, but it feels like slapping my Creator in the face for the provision that God so abundantly provides for us. On the other hand, when Joseph brings in the latest round of tomatoes that are warm from the sun and right off the vine, I can't wait to eat them. Usually, they get sliced up and served within minutes and then I am left waiting for the next yield. I have to admit that I'm not as good about cooking the zucchini and squash right away, mostly because it takes more prep time. However, when I do get around to sauteing them or slicing them to put on the grill, there is nothing better. I currently have a larger than life zucchini that I am hoping to use to make zucchini bread.
Now, while I am getting to enjoy the fruit of "my" labor, I have a confession to make: this has not been my labor at all. From the start, Joseph was the one who cleared the space out back, shopped for the seeds and plants, weeded and watered faithfully and continues to keep up the garden. I have never had the green thumb that I should have inherited from my garden fairy of a grandmother (my mother didn't inherit it either, so I don't feel too bad). In my own defense, I was 6 months pregnant when we started the garden and so I couldn't get down in the dirt with Joseph, which I rather think I would have enjoyed. I did go with him to pick out the varieties of vegetables and it has been immensely gratifying to see them come up out of the ground and be able to enjoy them. I just need to go on record as saying that I have had little to nothing to do with the garden other than eating what comes out of it.
As I am able to enjoy the benefit of having the small yard in which to be able to grow food, it makes me think of so many other simple living tasks I have written down in my mental checklist to accomplish sooner than later. Just last weekend Joseph and I met a really interesting and unique couple, Danielle and Todd, who really take living green seriously. Danielle writes for yourdailythread.com, which is a local online green publication. It seemed that they were vegetarians, or at least very conscientious eaters, as they brought their own brown rice and bok choy to the BBQ where we were eating with friends. We got to talking and the conversation made me really want to explore more ways of simple, green living. I hope to continue to seek and search out new ways to live more simply and with sustainability in mind. For now, my little garden reminds me of how God truly provides in a tangible way that allows me to be physically part of the gift.

1 comment:

Paul M. Pace said...

At least no one hounds you about taking care of your garden. Ha! Hey, wonderful writing. If you don't mind, I am going to put your blog on my blog. Peace!
paulepace.blogspot.com

"What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute" June Jordon - Poetess

Because it was raining outside the palace
Because there was no rain in her vicinity

Because people kept asking her questions
Because nobody ever asked her anything

Because marriage robbed her of her mother
Because she lost her daughters to the same tradition

Because her son laughed when she opened her mouth
Because he never delighted in anything she said

Because romance carried the rose inside of a fist
Because she hungered for the fragrance of the rose

Because the jewels of her life did not belong to her
Because the glow of gold and silk disguised her soul

Because nothing she could say could change the melted music of her space
Because the privilege of her misery was something she could not disgrace

Because no one could imagine reasons for her grief
Because her grief required no imagination

Because it was raining outside the palace
Because there was no rain in her vicinity