Saturday, January 9, 2010

Not in Kansas anymore?

I've never lived in Kansas. California is Kansas for me and I'm most definitely not there anymore. Now I'm in Georgia. That state made famous by Mr. Ray Charles crooning over his long lost home with passion and grit. That's how I feel about my home today. I guess "California Dreamin'" is my theme song today. I really like our new "home". I also have a nostalgic feeling after only two weeks away. Part of it I attribute to the snow and ice outside which have kept us in for two days now. Another, larger, part I contribute to the news I received from my former boss at Coffee by the Books that Fuller's dean of students, Ruth Vuong, passed away a week ago today unexpectedly. I only knew Ruth from the time I spent on student government as well as from the Coffee Shop. She always ordered Paris tea and a Pecan Stick. It's really silly that I remember her order but that's how you get to know people behind the counter of a coffee bar. Ruth also really liked Mercy and always had a huge smile when she saw her. She had such a peaceful presence whether walking across campus, doing the benediction at chapel or speaking to students one-on-one. I would really like to be back in Pasadena, mourning with the rest of campus and remembering her at her memorial service. My best friend, Natalie, reminded me that I can be with them remembering her in spirit and to not lose sight of why we moved. She told me that she knows that I know that we made the right decision. I know she's right. It's just hard at times like these.
We have been here now for two weeks and they have been two good weeks. We were able to be part of Passion 2010. I had the joy of spending my time with a very lovely eleven-year-old girl whom Mercy just adores. I also got to meet and spend time with Matt Redman's little girl who has the name I originally thought we would name Mercy, which is Maisy. Joseph worked loading in and out furniture for the event and also got to help out running Pro to have slides up for the worship sessions. The time was a real blessing to both of us. It's hard now, though, after being so busy to be so not. I'm praying every day about what my next step should be vocationally. There is a coffee company here called Land of 1000 Hills which I would love to be connected with and for whom I would love to work. I also would love to go back and get my Masters in English so that I can teach at the Junior College level. I also want to spend as much time with Mercy as I possibly can but I want her to grow up with a mom who has a career and a life separate from her. I always felt so proud being able to tell people that my mom was an artist and at the same time, it really didn't matter what she "did" because she was (still is) such an amazing mom. On the other hand, I don't want to be away from Mercy eight hours a day. It would be so great to start and finish my Masters so that when she goes to school, I could go back to work. Of course, by then we'll probably be trying to have a second child. The planner in me wants to have everything figured out and the other part wants to just be still and let God figure it out. Only time will tell.
Sweet little Mercy has had many milestones since we left. She is now eating cereal and had her first tastes of both apples and bananas this week. She is also now saying "mama", although I'm not quite sure if she knows what she's saying. She mostly uses it when she wants something. I'm ok with that. She's very close to saying "dada" and is super close to crawling. As well, she's getting her first tooth. It's right on the surface and we can feel it when we put our finger on her gums. She is such a joy and was a total gerber baby during Passion. I got a number of breaks because of all the people who wanted to hold her. As well, I met lots of people I probably wouldn't have without her. I believe that God has an amazing purpose for her life. I also believe that our move here is part of that. Now if we can just convince our families that they should move here as well.
We have a good surrogate family in our friends, the Bells, as well as their families. We are living with Cheryl Bell's mom, Dianne, and she is absolutely wonderful. She has a wonderful sense of humor and we feel so comfortable in her home. Her husband passed away a year ago this February and so I think the arrangement has worked out well for all of us. She may be ready to kick us out soon but I think we're still in good because she has told us that we have to promise to visit when we do move. We are excited to be able to start house hunting soon. We never could've afforded anything back home but it looks like we'll be able to buy a home here. There are some really lovely homes starting at $150,000 and with the tax credit, it may be a great time to buy. We originally thought we wanted to be closer to the city but Cumming is really growing on me. As we drive around, we see horses in fields, old barns and lots of trees. It's also close to lots of restaurants and shopping (about 15 miles) so we don't feel like we are super isolated.
We would really covet the prayers of our friends and family as we continue to look for sustainable work which provides both income and insurance as well as a permanent place to live. Passion City Church could use your prayers for the provision of a church building. God has been so good to us and we are so excited to see what He will do in 2010! As much as I miss California, I'm thankful to be in Georgia with a new start and a new year.

2 comments:

rheimbro said...

Thanks for sharing your memories of Ruth Vuong. I wish I had had more interaction with her at Fuller as well. In fact, I really only knew of here from chapel services. Nonetheless, hers was always a pleasant face to pass on campus.

Best of luck in making a new place home! I have gone through bouts of Pasadena-sickness in the 18 months since I moved away and while happy to be where I am, I know that my time there was certainly something to be thankful for as well. The hard part is turning that feeling of loss back over to God in a spirit of thankfulness.

May the Lord bless you and keep you guys!

Peace

Griselda Johnson said...

Thanks for sharing all this. Ruth's loss has been a big one for Fuller. I didn't know her very well, but totally understand all you said about her presence being so full of peace around campus.

I have been missing you since you went on maternity leave and now you guys are far away. I will be praying for your requests. God is incredible in his provision for us and how he manages to give us just what we need.

Ezra will have to meet up again with his girlfriend:) He is nowhere near crawling, just eating lots of solids and laughing always!

Peace and Love friend!

"What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute" June Jordon - Poetess

Because it was raining outside the palace
Because there was no rain in her vicinity

Because people kept asking her questions
Because nobody ever asked her anything

Because marriage robbed her of her mother
Because she lost her daughters to the same tradition

Because her son laughed when she opened her mouth
Because he never delighted in anything she said

Because romance carried the rose inside of a fist
Because she hungered for the fragrance of the rose

Because the jewels of her life did not belong to her
Because the glow of gold and silk disguised her soul

Because nothing she could say could change the melted music of her space
Because the privilege of her misery was something she could not disgrace

Because no one could imagine reasons for her grief
Because her grief required no imagination

Because it was raining outside the palace
Because there was no rain in her vicinity