Monday, January 11, 2010


Today was my 29th birthday (I say "was" because it's 11:30 pm and my birthday privileges are almost over). I talked to my sister on the phone yesterday and she asked me how I felt about being one year away from thirty. I thought about it and answered as candidly as possible; it doesn't scare me ... as a matter of fact, I think I'm excited. My early twenties were such a hodge podge of bad decisions, immaturity and darkness and my later twenties were a time of complete redemption both spiritually and personally. I feel like with the tumult of the last decade, the next one is sure to be one of spiritual, personal, professional and relational bloom. At least that's what I'm asking God for.
So, for those who want to know how I spent my 29th birthday, I'll first ask a question. What is one of the things I like to do most in life? It's something that brings me great pleasure and from which I often ask God for deliverance. I love to eat! So, that's how I spent my day ... I ate my way through it. The morning started with a trip to Chick-fil-A around 11 am for a chicken biscuit and some coffee. If you don't know what Chick-fil-A is, please look it up and drive to one, no matter how far from you it may be. After breakfast, Joseph, Mercy and I went for a drive around Fulton and Forsyth counties. It was an absolutely beautiful day with the partially melted snow still sparkling in bright patches on the ground and the sun shining over the backs of grassy fields and horses manes. Our new home is a truly beautiful place. After taking care of a couple of errands, we drove to Roswell, our new favorite town and made a stop at Krispy Kremes. By this time it was around 2 pm and Mercy was asleep in the car, so we had to make it a drive through event. I have never had a fresh Krispy Kreme right off the belt (even though they had one at the student union at UCLA) and let me tell you, it is a heavenly experience not to be missed. After our doughnut snack we drove around some more to let Mercy get a bit more rest. Around 3pm we decided it was time for lunch and found a super tiny, hole-in-the-wall Greek/Mediterranean place called Baba's. So good! After some Gyro wraps and Greek potatoes (sweet tea to boot) we got back in the car and headed home.
Oddly enough, there are two movies I've been dying to see so we popped one in when we got home. Not to be too theme oriented here but the movies were Food Inc and Julie and Julia. Just writing this, I'm thinking that I need an intervention. I still haven't finished Food Inc but what I did see was crazy convicting. More to come on that later.
To finish off a great day, we spent the evening with the extended Bell family. Dinner was great: Chicken Tortellini with fresh spinach, grilled tomatoes, broccoli and rolls (sweet tea to boot, again) and then ice cream with brownie bites and chocolate sauce. To finish the evening, a few rounds of Wii and some decaf coffee. The night spent laughing with friends was just what a needed after a few days of solitude. Praise be to Jesus!
So, to all of my friends at home who called, Facebooked, texted and emailed Birthday wishes, thank you for remembering me. It means a lot!
Here's to the last year of my twenties. I'm ready to stare my thirties in the face but I'll take the year to practice my game face.

2 comments:

Karla Klockenteger Shaw said...

I am glad to hear you are feeling at peace in your new home. Hope the snow isn't too bad!

Griselda Johnson said...

Your 30s will be incredible!! They have been for me and I don't want to leave them. I still have a few years, but have enjoyed every bit of them! Happy Belated Birthday:)

"What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute" June Jordon - Poetess

Because it was raining outside the palace
Because there was no rain in her vicinity

Because people kept asking her questions
Because nobody ever asked her anything

Because marriage robbed her of her mother
Because she lost her daughters to the same tradition

Because her son laughed when she opened her mouth
Because he never delighted in anything she said

Because romance carried the rose inside of a fist
Because she hungered for the fragrance of the rose

Because the jewels of her life did not belong to her
Because the glow of gold and silk disguised her soul

Because nothing she could say could change the melted music of her space
Because the privilege of her misery was something she could not disgrace

Because no one could imagine reasons for her grief
Because her grief required no imagination

Because it was raining outside the palace
Because there was no rain in her vicinity